We have now created a template script which makes it easy to efficiently handle inbound leads. You will find the Lead Matching and Allocation script in the Script Library. Because it's a script it's easy to adapt it if it doesn't meet your needs exactly.
The synopsis reads:
This script is normally scheduled to run every few minutes monitoring a sales lead queue, for example you might have a queue called 'Web Leads'. Up to 'Batch Size' open leads are processed on each run (closed leads are ignored).For each lead the script first looks for a match on an email address associated with an existing person or lead; if there is no match the lead is evaluated against the Lead Assignment Rules. When using this script be sure to include some Lead Assignment Rules.One of the following is true:
- A match was found with a person or lead (the earliest-created matching person or earliest-created matching lead is used), in which case:
- the new lead is marked as a duplicate and associated with the original item;
- a new activity is created and assigned to the owner of the original item, and
- that activity is linked to both the original item and the new lead.
- A lead assignment rule matches, in which case the lead is simply assigned as directed.
- No match is found with either an existing item or with a rule in which case the lead is assigned to the 'Unmatched Sales Lead Queue' as defined in the parameters.