How you can use Outlook Rules & Categories to sync emails with the WESS.
- Welcome to the Knowledge Base
- Supported browsers
- Landing Pages
- HTML Editor
- Welcome Messages & Bulletins
- Exporting Data
- Multi Language
- Notifications & Reminders
- Forecasts & Quotas
- Introduction to Importing
- Preparing your Import Data
- Workbooks Import Wizard
- Managing your Imports
- Mailing Lists
- Marketing Campaigns
- Upload Library
Workbooks Web Insights
- Tracking Code
- Setting up the Plugin
- Viewing Web Insights Data on your Form Layouts
- Domain Names and Online Activities
- Reporting on Web Insights data
- Using UTM Values
- Why aren’t Online Activities being created in the database?
- Why is GatorLeads recording online activities in a foreign language?
- Using HubSpot with Workbooks
- GatorMail Integration
- People & Organisations
- Introduction to Reporting
- Displaying Reports
- Creating Reports
- Reporting Explained
- Emailing Scheduled Reports
- Sharing Reports
- Using Formulae
- Displaying reports within Record Views
- Audit Reporting
- Compliance Record
- Data Enrichment
- Introduction to Transaction Documents
- Credit Notes
- Customer Orders
- Supplier Orders
- Contract Management
- Adobe Sign Integration
- Introduction to Zapier
- Available Triggers and Actions
- Linking your Workbooks Account to Zapier
Setting up Zaps
- Posted Invoices to Xero Invoices
- Xero payments to Workbooks Tasks
- New Case to Google Drive folder
- New Case to Basecamp Project
- Jira Issue to new Case
- New Workbooks Case to JIRA Ticket
- Wufoo Form Entry to Sales Lead
- Eventbrite Attendee to Sales Lead and Task
- Facebook Ad Leads to Sales Leads
- Posted Credit Note to Task
- Survey Monkey responses to Tasks
- Multistep Zaps
- Outlook Connector
- Exchange Server Sync
- Workbooks Mobile Client
- Introduction to System Administration
Users & Security
- User Groups
- Account Settings
- Licences & Modules
- Email & Integration
- Creating & Modifying Picklists
- Creating Custom Fields
- Report-based Custom Fields
- Record Templates
- Form Layouts
- Customising relationships between parties
- Opportunity Stages
- PDF Configuration
- Releases & Roadmap
- Workbooks Glossary
- Contact Support
The main feature of the WESS is the ability to synchronise emails from any Exchange server.
NOTE: The WESS can only sychronise emails that are stored in your Primary Inbox and Sent folders. Any emails that are moved into a sub-folder will not be synchronised.
You can select the emails that you would like to synchronise with Workbooks, in Outlook, by categorising them as Workbooks.
After categorising your email, it will be marked in Outlook accordingly.
The email will then appear in Workbooks (after the next synchronisation has been completed).
NOTE: The WESS sync cycle runs once every 30 minutes. This means that emails will not instantly synchronise with Workbooks. The email could take up to 30 minutes to appear in Workbooks, depending on the progress of the sync cycle in your database.
Automatically sync all emails into Workbooks
In Outlook, create a new rule:
Select the condition of what emails you would like this rule to apply:
Then tell Outlook what to do with the emails:
Finally define the category to give them:
All subsequent emails that you receive will be synced with Workbooks.
Creating a button to sync emails
Users of the Workbooks Outlook Connector (WOC) will be familiar with the Outlook Connector Ribbon, which appears when preparing a new email, and instructs Outlook which emails should be shared with Workbooks.
With the WESS, similar functionality can be achieved using the Microsoft Visual Basic Editor, which will allow you to Categorise your email as described below.
From within Outlook, hold down ALT and press F11, this will bring up the Microsoft Visual Basic Editor, as shown below
Click Insert and select Module. You will then need to copy/paste the following code into the dialog box that appears:
Public Sub CategoriesButton()
Dim Item As Outlook.MailItem
Set Item = Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
After entering this, Save, and close Visual Basic.
Now right-click on the ribbon bar at the top of a new message and select 'customise this Ribbon option'.
In the following menu, you will need to add a group to the existing home tab, and call it Categories.
After this, simply add the button created through the Visual Basic Editor into the group by selecting macros from the dropdown menu, selecting the script with the title 'CategoriesButton', and adding it to the group.
Click OK and save it, and your new email window will now look like this:
The button will allow you to quickly categorise your emails as Workbooks to tell Outlook that you want it to be synced. You can change the name of the button to make it more aesthetically pleasing by changing the name in Visual Basic Editor.
The 30 minute sync
The WESS synchronisation process runs every 30 minutes, you can see when the next synchronisation cycle should occur within your Preferences screen (Start > Preferences > Integration > Exchange Sync) and adding 30 minutes onto the most recent Sync.
This means that items will not appear in Workbooks or Outlook immediately and can take up to 30 minutes to be updated.
The 30-minute Sync can be overridden by clicking on the "Sync Now" button at the top of the Preferences Pane, as shown below: