June 2012 Release
For most of the record types within Workbooks, it is now possible to perform bulk actions. The following actions are available:
- Re-assign - re-assigns all of the selected records to a named user.
- Delete - deletes all of the selected records.
- Update - changes specified fields within each of the selected records.
If you have the right capabilities you will now see a Bulk Action button on landing pages, e.g. the People or Organisations landing pages. You can decide which records are affected by your bulk actions by using the filters. For example, to reassign all the Opportunities from 'John Cheney' to 'Alison West' you would go to the All Opportunities landing page, filter by "Assigned To Equals John Cheney", then press the Bulk Action button and follow the wizard.
Once you have requested the Bulk Action it is performed by a background task and you will be notified when the action is complete. Pending and completed bulk actions may be viewed from the Start Menu. Completed bulk actions may be reverted for up to 30 days after the action has completed.
Initially the capabilities to perform bulk actions are only available to members of the System Admin group. These capabilities may be assigned to other groups or users as required:
You can now create templates for all record types. For example if you have two different types of Cases you can create templates which automatically populate the relevant fields when you create a new case. Record templates can be used with all record types and you can have as many templates as you need. Once you have created and published a template it automatically becomes available on the Start Menu and on any 'New' buttons in Workbooks.
Form Layout Improvements - Rules
In the current version of Workbooks you can create different form layouts for different users. We have added a new features which allows you to configure rules to select which layout should apply based on a value contained inside the record. Let's use an example to illustrate the point:
In your business you track two different types of cases: a Project Case and a Support Case. You can now create two different form layouts and select which layout to use based on the value in the 'Type' field in the Case Record. This allows you to create layouts which only show the fields which are relevant to that type of case.
Form Layouts Rules and Record Templates can be used together very effectively: So to continue the example above, if you:
- Create a Record Template for a Support Case and set the default value for the Type field to be 'Support';
- Create a Form Layout for your Support Case with the relevant fields shown in the order you prefer;
- Add a Layout Rule within the Form Layout which matches on 'Type equals Support' so this layout is only used if it's a support Case.
Then when you create a new Support Case from the Start Menu the right values will be pre-populated and the correct layout will be used.
Form Layouts Improvements - Automatic Population of fields via Standard Linked Records
The current version of Workbooks allows you to automatically populate fields on a form based on values in a Dynamic Linked Item Record (DLI). In addition we have added a new feature which allows you to auto-populate fields based on a Standard Linked Item. Standard Linked Items are records which are linked together by default. For example the Prospective Customer field in an Opportunity Record is a Standard Linked Item. As an example, you could create a custom field on an Opportunity record called Website and automatically populate this field from the Website value held in the Organisation Record.
Posted Supplier Orders, Invoices and Credit Notes may now be edited
Administrators will now have capabilities to allow POSTED Supplier Orders, Invoices and Credit Notes to be edited. These capabilities may be granted to other users or groups, or removed, as required. The new capabilities are:
Configuration Layout Improvements
To facilitate the customisation of Workbooks, all of the customisation options for record types have now been consolidated into one section of the Workbooks user interface. Go to Start > Configuration > Customisation > Record Types. Each record type's customisation can include Custom Fields, Linked Fields, Record Templates and Form Layouts. The Opportunity Stages can also be defined for Opportunities here.
Pause and Resume for Import Jobs
Running import jobs may now be paused and resumed later. Any import jobs in progress during system maintenance will be paused and resumed automatically.
Document Transactions Tab
Transaction records, Opportunities and Contracts now have a Transactions tab that displays related Transaction records. When a Transaction record is created from another they are automatically related and any existing related transactions are inherited too. For example, if an Opportunity is copied to create a Customer Order, which is subsequently copied to create an Invoice, then the Transactions tab on the Invoice will show both the Opportunity and the Sales Order. Similarly the Transactions tab on the Opportunity will list both the Invoice and the Customer Order.
The Transactions relationship is also available within Reporting.
Custom Field Enhancements
The following new custom field types may now be created:
- Percentage - Minimum and maximum value constraints may be set and values will be displayed with a percent sign.
- Email Address - The field includes a button to send an email to the contained email address.
- Phone Number - The field includes a button to call the contained phone number.
In addition there are number of new configuration options for existing custom fields:
- All custom fields that store a single line of text now have a configurable limit on the maximum size of the text. The default is 50 characters and the maximum is 255 characters.
- Many custom field types are now indexable. Enabling the 'Indexed' checkbox for a custom field can speed up reports and filtered views that use that custom field as a criterion.
- Custom fields can be hidden from views that list record types by un-checking the 'Show in list views' checkbox.
If the maximum number of characters or the Indexed checkbox are changed for an existing custom field, the change will be performed by a background task and the user informed on completion.
Changes to line items in Transaction documents
- Line item calculations are now performed to 5 decimal places of precision and totals are rounded as determined by the currency in use.
- The Discount columns are now displayed with a percent sign.
- The Discount and Unit Quantity columns now accept a variable number of decimal places with a limit of 5, e.g. 1.25 metres, 8.175 litres.
- Numeric report columns can now be defined with 'Unspecified' decimal places (the default), or a specific number of decimal places from 0 to 4.
- A new 'IN()' function is now available for use within calculated columns which allows matching on any of a set of values.
Configurable Date and Time Formats
Locale-specific Date and Time formatting may be set as a preference on the user's Preferences screen. British, American, International and Custom options are available.
Archival of infrequently used databases
To prioritise resources for active customers, any database that has not been logged into within the preceding 30 days will be archived and taken off-line from Workbooks. The archived database will be kept for as long as the account is active. If a user tries to login to an archived database, it will be restored within a few minutes depending upon the size of the database. Within the Configuration databases view, a new column called State shows whether a database is archived or available.
Workbooks API Changes
- Sales Tax Values are now exposed via the API.
- Deleted records are now returned if 'is_deleted' is used within a filter.
- The format of Time custom fields has changed to "%H:%M:%S" (24-hour clock). The unnecessary date and timezone parts have been removed.
- Related Item tabs now have 'Related By' and 'Related At' columns to show who created the relationship and when.
- Transaction documents now have 'Created From Document' and 'Created From Reference' fields which identify the source document when a document is copied to create another. These fields are hidden by default and must be enabled within a Form Layout before use. The fields are only set on newly created documents.
- Database management has moved and can now be found in the Database section in the Configuration screen.
- Picklists are now exportable as CSV or Excel files. Multiple picklist values may now be added in one operation by pasting newline-delimited values into the Picklist New Value form.
- Filtering by User is now possible for Audit records.
- Firstname and Lastname columns are now available on Campaign Member and Sales Lead views.
- Two new columns on the Campaign Members view (Source and Source Reference) identify the source of the member record, which may be a report, a mailing list or another campaign.
- Reports can now be copied between users who do not belong to the System Admin group.
- Relationships between People and/or Organisations can now have custom fields, and also have a Notes field.