- Welcome to the Knowledge Base
- Supported browsers
- Landing Pages
- HTML Editor
- Welcome Messages & Bulletins
- Exporting Data
- Multi Language
- Notifications & Reminders
- Workbooks Mobile Client
- Forecasts & Quotas
- Introduction to Importing
- Preparing your Import Data
- Workbooks Import Wizard
- Managing your Imports
- Introduction to Marketing
- Marketing Campaigns
- Mailing Lists
- Upload Library
Workbooks Web Insights
- Tracking Code
- Setting up the Plugin
- Viewing Web Insights Data on your Form Layouts
- Domain Names and Online Activities
- Gator Popup
- Reporting incorrect Leads created through Web Insights
- Reporting on Web Insights data
- Using UTM Values
- Why aren’t Online Activities being created in the database?
- Why is GatorLeads recording online activities in a foreign language?
- Using HubSpot with Workbooks
- Introduction to Event Management
- Enabling the Event Management Module
- Using Event Records
- The Event Management Portal
- Compliance Records
- Setting up the Integration
- Sending Mailshots using GatorMail
- GatorMail - Dynamic Content
- GatorMail Domain Setup
- GatorMail Field Mappings
- Managing your GatorMail Account
- Setting up GatorMail Workflows
Electronic Signing Tools
- DocuSign Functionality
- Setting up the DocuSign Integration
- DocuSign - Worked Examples
- DocuSign - Reporting
- Adobe Sign Integration
- Docusign Integration
- Creditsafe Integration
- Introduction to Zapier
- Available Triggers and Actions
- Linking your Workbooks Account to Zapier
Setting up Zaps
- Posted Invoices to Xero Invoices
- Xero payments to Workbooks Tasks
- New Case to Google Drive folder
- New Case to Basecamp Project
- New Workbooks Case to JIRA Ticket
- Jira Issue to new Case
- 123FormBuilder Form Entry to Case
- Eventbrite Attendee to Sales Lead and Task
- Facebook Ad Leads to Sales Leads
- Wufoo Form Entry to Sales Lead
- Posted Credit Note to Task
- Survey Monkey responses to Tasks
- Multistep Zaps
- Email Dropbox
- Workbooks Exchange Server Sync
- Workbooks Outlook Add-in
Workbooks Outlook Connector
- Introduction to the Outlook Connector
- Before downloading the Outlook Connector
- Download/update the Outlook Connector
- Installing the Outlook Connector
- Using the Outlook Connector
- Outlook Connector Troubleshooting
People & Organisations
- Introduction to People & Organisations
- De-duplication and Merge
- Using PCA Predict
- Data Enrichment
- Introduction to Reporting
- Using Reports
- Exporting Reports
- Advanced Reporting
- Introduction to Transaction Documents
- Credit Notes
- Customer Orders
- Supplier Orders
- Contract Management
- Introduction to System Administration
Users & Security
- User Groups
- Account Settings
- Licences & Modules
Email & Integration
- Email Settings
- API Keys
- Web to Case and Web to Lead
- Preference Centre
- MailChimp, Constant Contact & dotMailer
- Postcode Lookup
- SharePoint Integration
- Bank Account Validation
- Creating & Modifying Picklists
- Creating Custom Fields
- Report-based Custom Fields
- Linked Fields
- Record Templates
- Form Layouts
- Customising relationships between parties
- Opportunity Stages
- Custom Records
- PDF Configuration
- Contact Support
- Releases & Roadmap
- Workbooks Glossary
De-duplication and Merge
Did you know...
There are template reports to help you identify duplicate People and Organisations? These are available within Start > Reports > New Template Report. Simply searching for 'Template Name Contains Duplicate' will highlight these reports.
If you have duplicated records in your database, Workbooks has the ability to merge them together. Only Person or Organisation records can be merged.
You must have the Merge module enabled, and the user must have the Capability called Merge. The user must also have full permissions on the records that are about to be merged. Therefore, we advise that only System Admins are given this capability.
Users with the Merge capability will see a Duplicates or Merge button at the top of Person and Organisation records. As shown below, if Workbooks finds a duplicate, the button will change to convey this message.
Click the button to view the duplicates that Workbooks has found, to add any other duplicates that you know of, and to merge the relevant records together. A section will open up at the top of the page, the rest of your record will become read-only and the buttons at the top of the record will be disabled. Click Cancel merge to exit and go back to editing your record.
Workbooks detects duplicates using the main email address on Person records. On Organisations, it removes the common business suffixes from the end of the name, like Ltd or Corp, then does a 'starts with' search on Organisation names. For example, for 'Aerosystems PR Ltd' Workbooks has detected 'Aerosystems Products' as a duplicate. However, if you were on the 'Aerosystems Products' record then Workbooks would not detect 'Aerosystems PR Ltd' as a duplicate.
The above is clearly incorrect, so it is possible to select the row and click Selected records are not duplicates. This stops Workbooks from presenting the selected records as duplicates in the future.
Workbooks may not find all of the duplicates. Below, 'Jane Doe' has been detected as a duplicate of 'Janey Doe' because the email address matches, but we know another 'Jane Doe' exists. If you are aware of any others, use Add additional duplicate records.
This opens a Search window, meaning you can use Names or Object References to find the duplicates. Any records that you add in this way will be automatically ticked; you can then tick any other relevant rows and click Merge selected records. You can merge up to 5 records at one time.
You will be taken to the Merge wizard, which will display all the records next to each other. Select which Object Reference you want the records to be merged onto. After the merge, this will be the only record that remains; the other records will be deleted. If you have an integration with an external system, or regularly use Object References in your imports, then be careful that you are not deleting records with Object References that are used in these processes.
Then select the values from each row that you want to keep.
Clicking Next will take you to a screen of the values you will have on your resulting merged record. It will also confirm which records are to be deleted. Click Merge once you are happy with this; the merge cannot be undone.
Below is the resulting person record. All records with DLIs that had originally pointed to any of the merged People will be updated in the background so that they link to the correct Person, and show the correct Person name. Notes, Activities and relationships to other records have been copied across.
The Contact Details tab of the Person will now have a row for the previous Main Location Contact Details for each of the records you just merged together.
- It is not possible to merge any Organisation records with your Own Organisation.
- If merging 2 people with different employers, i.e. the past employer and the current employer, we advise that you go through the Change of Employer wizard first, to ensure that the 'previous employer' relationship is created.
- Some information may be lost. For example, if more than one of the Person records had been members of a single Campaign. Only one of the Campaign memberships can be kept, so the membership status and information in custom fields on the other memberships will be lost.