- Welcome to the Knowledge Base
- Introduction to Workbooks
- Using the Knowledge Base
- Editions & Licensing
- Logging In
- Supported browsers
- Landing Pages
- HTML Editor
- Welcome Messages & Bulletins
- Exporting Data
- Multi Language
- Notifications & Reminders
- Workbooks on Mobiles and Tablets
- Introduction to Cases
- Displaying & Adding Cases
- Managing Cases
- Custom Fields
- Case Portal Configuration
- Case Portal Additional Features
- Using the Case Portal
- Forecasts & Quotas
- Introduction to Importing
- Preparing your Import Data
- Workbooks Import Wizard
- Managing your Imports
- Introduction to Marketing
- Marketing Campaigns
- Mailing Lists
- Upload Library
- Using HubSpot with Workbooks
- Introduction to Event Management
- Enabling the Event Management Module
- Using Event Records
- The Event Management Portal
- On The Day Registration App
- Setup On the Day Registration App
- Compliance Records
- What is Spotler?
- Navigating your Spotler homepage
- Introduction to GatorMail
- Managing your GatorMail Account
- GatorMail Configuration
- Creating Emails in GatorMail
- Sending Emails in GatorMail
- Advanced Features
GatorLeads / Web Insights
- Tracking Code
- Setting up the Plugin
- Viewing Web Insights Data on your Form Layouts
- Domain Names and Online Activities
- Reporting incorrect Leads created through Web Insights
- Reporting on Web Insights data
- Using UTM Values
- Why aren’t Online Activities being created in the database?
- Why is GatorLeads recording online activities in a foreign language?
Electronic Signing Tools
- DocuSign Functionality
- Setting up the DocuSign Integration
- DocuSign - Worked Examples
- DocuSign - Reporting
- Adobe Sign Integration
- Docusign Integration
- Creditsafe Integration
- Introduction to Zapier
- Available Triggers and Actions
- Linking your Workbooks Account to Zapier
Setting up Zaps
- Posted Invoices to Xero Invoices
- Xero payments to Workbooks Tasks
- New Case to Google Drive folder
- New Case to Basecamp Project
- New Workbooks Case to JIRA Ticket
- Jira Issue to new Case
- 123FormBuilder Form Entry to Case
- Eventbrite Attendee to Sales Lead and Task
- Facebook Ad Leads to Sales Leads
- Wufoo Form Entry to Sales Lead
- Posted Credit Note to Task
- QuickBooks Online
- Survey Monkey responses to Tasks
- Multistep Zaps
- Email Dropbox
- Workbooks Exchange Server Sync
Workbooks Outlook Connector
- Introduction to the Outlook Connector
- Before downloading the Outlook Connector
- Download/update the Outlook Connector
- Installing the Outlook Connector
- Using the Outlook Connector
- Outlook Connector Troubleshooting
Event & Webinar Integration Tools
- Create/Update & Cancel Webinars from Events
- Event Attendees as Webinar Registrants
- Event Speakers as Webinar Panelists
- Retrieve Webinar Data
- Authentication with ON24
- Create Webcasts from Events
- Event Attendees as Webcast Registrants
- Retrieve Webcast Data
- Retrieve Survey Data
- Engagement Hub Interactions
- Azure Active Directory
- Power BI
- Outreach Authentication
- Sync People to Outreach Prospects
- Sync Organisations to Outreach Accounts
- Sync Workbooks Opportunities to Outreach
- Sync Tasks/Activities from Workbooks to Outreach
- Sync Outreach Sequences to Workbooks
- Sync Outreach Sequence States to Workbooks
- Sync Outreach Sequence Step Numbers to Workbooks
- Sync Prospects/Accounts/Opportunities from Outreach to Workbooks
- Sync Outreach Tasks/Calls/Meetings to Workbooks
- Scribe/Workbooks Connector
People & Organisations
- Introduction to People & Organisations
- De-duplication and Merge
- Using Postcode Lookup
- Data Enrichment
- Introduction to Reporting
- Reporting Explained
- Displaying reports within Record Views
- Displaying Reports
- Adding a Report view to a Dashboard
- Exporting Reports
- Advanced Reporting
- Introduction to Transaction Documents
- Credit Notes
- Customer Orders
- Supplier Orders
- Contract Management
- Introduction to System Administration
Users & Security
- User Groups
- Account Settings
- Licences & Modules
Email & Integration
- Email Settings
- API Keys
- Web to Case and Web to Lead
- Preference Centre
- MailChimp, Constant Contact & dotMailer
- Bank Account Validation
- Creating & Modifying Picklists
- Creating Custom Fields
- Report-based Custom Fields
- Linked Fields & Reference Fields
- Record Templates
- Form Layouts
- Customising relationships between parties
- Opportunity Stages
- Custom Records
- PDF Configuration
- Contact Support
Releases & Roadmap
- June 2021 Release
- March 2021 Release
- December 2020 Release
- September 2020 Release
- April 2020 Release
- January 2020 Release
- September 2019 Release
- February 2019 - Event Management Release
- January 2019 Release
- October 2018 Release
- May 2018 Release
- February 2018 Release
- January 2018 Release
- November 2017 Release
- September 2017 Release
- June 2017 Release
- March 2017 Release
- December 2016 Release
- August 2016 Release
- January 2016 Release
- Workbooks Glossary
Creating a Document with a DocuSign Template
The DocuSign integration allows you to use either Workbooks PDFs or DocuSign Templates. This article covers how to setup a DocuSign Template.
Creating a Template in DocuSign
Before you can configure the integration in Workbooks, you will need to upload a blank Template within DocuSign. Login to your DocuSign Account to do so.
Once logged in, select the Templates option from the toolbar at the top of the page.
Select the New button at the top of the toolbar on the left side of the screen.
In the new template, set the following fields:
- Template Name: This is the name that will appear in the DocuSign Plugin within Workbooks when setting up a new document configuration
- Template Description: Provide a brief description so it's clear how this template is being used.
Finally, upload the document that will form the basis of your Template. Documents can be uploaded from your computer or uploaded from a number of file sharing sites.
Next, you will need to define placeholders for Template Roles within this Template. When the integration generates an envelope using this template, the Template Roles are matched with Workbooks Relationships, and the Recipient automatically added to each role specified in the Template. The Role entered here must be an available relationship value that has been configured in Workbooks. For each record type, the values available differ:
For Transaction Documents, the picklist can be amended in Workbooks under Configuration > Customisation > Picklists. Filter by Name for the "Document People Roles" or "Opportunity Contact Roles" (if using Opportunities) picklists to see available values.
In this example, add one recipient, where the Role is set to Primary Contact with "Needs to Sign" as the signing action. Multiple recipients with either the Needs to Sign (Signer) or "Receives a Copy" (CC) signing action can be added as required. More information on Templates and Template Roles in DocuSign can be found here. You will need to know the Roles that have been configured later in the setup, so leave this window open.
As a final step, save the Template by clicking Actions > Save and Close, otherwise it will not be available within Workbooks to complete the next steps.
NOTE: It is important to ensure that no DocuSign tabs are added at this point. There are some additional steps required in Workbooks prior to doing this.
Set up the Template in Workbooks
Return to Workbooks to configure the DocuSign Integration with your new Template. The DocuSign menu can be accessed from Start > Configuration > Email & Integration.
Plugin - Step 1 - Introduction
On the first page, select New Document then Continue. If this is the first document that you have configured, then you will taken straight to Step 2 below.
Plugin - Step 2 - Settings
Work through the Plugin settings, configuring them to your requirements as needed. See here for further information on each setting. There are a few important settings that must be configured as detailed below for the integration to work with a DocuSign Template:
- Select DocuSign Template in the Integration Type picklist
- Select the DocuSign Template created in Stage 1 of this guide for the DocuSign Template picklist
- Ensure that you configure "Which relationship roles should be used as Signers" and "CC Recipients" as per the Template Roles configured in DocuSign e.g. if you created a Template Role of Primary Contact in DocuSign and set this role as the Signer, ensure you select Primary Contact in the "Which relationship roles should be used as Signers" in the plugin.
- NOTE: If you do not choose the same Relationship here as you have configured on your DocuSign Template, the Process Button will error with the following message:
Click "Continue" when you are happy with the settings.
Plugin - Step 3 - Configure AutoPlace Mappings
This step allows you to configure fields from your selected Workbooks record type to populate fields on the DocuSign Template when a new envelope is generated. The integration has the capability to default the field values on the DocuSign document to the value held within Workbooks. When the document is signed, the updated information can be reflected back in Workbooks.
To set up a new Mapping select the Add New button. In the dialogue box, populate the following information to create a new field mapping
- Docusign Tag Type: The DocuSign Field data type. The Tag Type can affect how data is displayed on the Document, more information can be found on DocuSign’s Support Site. Based on the Workbooks Custom Field type, we recommend reviewing this page which details the best type to use for the integration.
- For DocuSign Tags that cannot be set to Workbooks values such as Signatures, Recipient Names, Date Signed etc, you should add these directly to the DocuSign Template in the following steps. They do not need to be added here.
- DocuSign Anchor String: This defines where on the document the tag will appear if the tag is found by DocuSign in your template. See here for DocuSign's help page on Anchors. This is optional and can be left blank if your Template does not have Anchor Tags specified. Fields can manually placed if this is the case.
- Workbooks Field: Select the field which will be used to initially pull through a value to the DocuSign Field. This field can then be updated if the field is made editable in DocuSign
- Multi-select picklists are not supported in DocuSign and therefore, if configured in Workbooks, do not show in this list
- Picklist selections may break if they contain a semi-colon in the value, due to a limitation in DocuSign
Once you have added a mapping, it can be edited or deleted using the Actions button beside each row. 5 mappings are shown per page. A search feature is provided if you have several mappings - you can search by DocuSign tag name, DocuSign field type or Workbooks field name. Mappings are not stored until you click Continue.
Plugin - Step 4 - Related Record Mappings
If you turned on the Update Related Records setting in Step 1, then a 2nd Mappings screen is shown. This screen allows you to configure mappings for fields that are on records related to the source record via a DLI field. For example, you may have a Contact DLI which relates a Person to your source document.
The process for adding mappings is the same as Step 3. However, there are two slightly different options:
- Workbooks DLI Field: This is a list of all DLIs on the selected record type set in Step 1
- Workbooks Field: A DLI is driven from a report based on a record type. Once you select a DLI, this list will be populated with the fields from that record type.
- For example, if you have a Person DLI, the report will be based on People and thus the fields shown here will be for People records.
- This feature only allows you to drill through to one record. You cannot subsequently drill through to another record related to the first.
Again mappings can be edited or deleted using the Actions menu. They can also be searched. Changes will not be applied until you click Continue.
Plugin - Step 5 - Complete
The DocuSign document is ready to be generated. However, you will now need to add a Process Button to the appropriate Form Layouts so you can send the document out. This is documented fully on this page: here.
Once you have completed the configuration screen, it can take up to 1 hour for the mappings to synchronise to DocuSign. Field mappings are synced to DocuSign using the DocuSign Maintain Fields Scheduled Process. If you have created a lot of mappings, it may take several hours to sync - a maximum of 100 fields per hour are created to avoid DocuSign API Limits.
After the final page is complete, you will need to configure a Process Button as explained here.
Configuring DocuSign Fields
Back in DocuSign, select the Template that you configured earlier, then click Edit. In Edit mode, you can make any final amendments to the Template. Click Next to generate a Template mockup. From here, you can add the DocuSign Fields to your Template.
Under Standard Fields, you can should add any fields where a Workbooks Field Mapping was not created such as for Signatures, Date Signed, Recipient Name etc. Add these to your Template by dragging and dropping them into the relevant location on your Template. If you have multiple Template Roles, change the recipient in the top left, before adding the field to setup who can populate each field:
Once Workbooks Fields have synced, you will see a DocuSign Custom Field under the Custom Field section within the Template. Each field is prefixed with the Record Type and then has the Field Label so you can easily identify which fields to include in your document. For fields that are linked to related records, they will have "DLI" in the field label, and also the corresponding Workbooks DLI name so you can easily identify fields. These fields can also be dragged and dropped onto your template. If you specified an Anchor String when you created the mapping, then DocuSign will attempt to place the field at all occurrences of that anchor.
Custom Fields are automatically mapped back to the corresponding Workbooks field when the document is signed. You should not create any new Custom Fields directly in DocuSign as these will not map back to Workbooks.
Once you have added the Custom Field to your DocuSign Template, configure the settings for that field directly within the properties panel of DocuSign, such as making it Read Only, Required, changing the font etc.
NOTE: Do not change the Field Label or Tooltip in DocuSign otherwise the field will not sync back to Workbooks when a document is signed.
Once this step is complete, Save and Close. You can now generate a new DocuSign envelope for signature using this Template.