- Welcome to the Knowledge Base
- Desktop Environment
- Forecasts & Quotas
- Importing Data
- Marketing Campaigns
- Upload Library
- Mail Shots
- Using HubSpot with Workbooks
- People & Organisations
- Introduction to Reporting
- Displaying Reports
- Creating Reports
- Reporting Explained
- Emailing Scheduled Reports
- Sharing Reports
- Using Formulae
- Displaying reports within Record Views
- Audit Reporting
- Introduction to Transaction Documents
- Credit Notes
- Customer Orders
- Supplier Orders
- Contract Management
- Adobe Sign Integration
- Workbooks Mobile Client
- Introduction to the Outlook Connector
- Using the Outlook Connector
- Before downloading the Outlook Connector
- System Requirements
- Installation Guide
- First Run Assistant
- Download/update the Outlook Connector
- Outlook Connector Troubleshooting
- Exchange Server Sync
- Introduction to System Administration
- Users & Security
- Email & Integration
- Creating & Modifying Picklists
- Creating Custom Fields
- Report-based Custom Fields
- Linked Fields
- Record Templates
- Form Layouts
- Customising relationships between parties
- Opportunity Stages
- PDF Configuration
- Releases & Roadmap
- Workbooks Glossary
- Contact Support
Introduction to Email Settings
Take the time to set up at least one Email Account before trying to send email from within Workbooks.
Workbooks can send email that comes "from" the sending User. This means that any replies will go back to the User's email client Inbox.
In order for Users to be able to send emails from within Workbooks, at least one Email Account should be set up for them (just as you would for an email client). The configuration of this account needs to identify the SMTP mail server and credentials to be used.
Users can create their own Email Accounts (within Preferences) or System Administrators can create Email Accounts for Users and then share the configuration with the User.
If no Email Account has been set up for a User, it's possible to use a 'fallback' delivery mode, which routes outbound emails constructed within Workbooks via the Workbooks email server. This is not recommended except as a shortcut when you are evaluating Workbooks.
Using your SMTP server to send messages has a number of advantages including:
- email is delivered via your configured email server.
- you have more flexibility - your users can be set up to send from multiple 'alias' email addresses.
- your email will be delivered more reliably since anti-spam measures typically treat email from your own server with more care.
NOTE: The ability for users to set up one or more alias addresses is controlled by Capabilities. If you want your users to be able to set up alias addresses make sure they have the following Capabilities: View Email Credentials and Manage Email Credentials.
If you are a System Administrator you can set up an Email Account for a user by clicking Start > Configuration> Email & Integration > Email Settings > Email Accounts > New Email Account.
If you are not a System Administrator, you can still set up an Email Account by clicking Start > Preferences> Email Accounts > New Email Account.
Either method will show a screen similar to the one below (click to enlarge).
Users may find that some of these fields are already populated with information if their System Administrator has set up some default setting such as the SMTP Server name. If not, populate the fields shown and remember to extend the Sharing Permissions to the appropriate User or User Group by clicking the Sharing Permissions padlock icon in the top right and editing the permissions accordingly.
Information on setting up your SMTP server to send Workbooks emails can be found on the next page. Click on the forward button below (next to Setting up your Email Server) to go there.
- If you need to use authentication in order to send email and your password for your email changes at any time, you will need to update your email account settings in Workbooks to ensure that it uses the same password.
- If you're using Workbooks free edition you are not licensed to send emails via the Workbooks server so if you want to use the email functionality you must set up your external server.