- Record Templates
- Marketing Campaigns
- Upload Library
- Mail Shots
- Using HubSpot with Workbooks
- Introduction to Reporting
- Displaying Reports
- Creating Reports
- Reporting Explained
- Emailing Scheduled Reports
- Sharing Reports
- Using Formulae
- Introduction to Reporting
- Introduction to Transaction Documents
- Credit Notes
- Customer Orders
- Supplier Orders
- Contract Management
- Introduction to System Administration
- Users & Security
- Email & Integration
- PDF Configuration
- Using Linked fields to auto-populate custom fields
- Options in picklists
- Custom Field Limits
- Customisation Shortcuts, Tips & Tricks
- Deleting Organisations which have no employees
- Creating an iFrame for a LinkedIn Profile
- How do I set a default value?
- Default Desktop View
- Automatic Salutation filling for Person Records
Record Templates allow you to have any record filled with a pre-existing value when you open a form, essentially a default value. For example, if you set the Priority field to "Urgent" then every time you create a new object where this field is available, its value will be set to "Urgent" automatically unless you physically change it on the form itself.
NOTE: If you create a Record Template with the Assigned to field set to "Me", every record created using that template will show your name in the Assigned to field, not the creating User's name.
Everywhere a record can be created, the record templates that have been made available for that record type can be used.
The path to this function is:
How to guide
We'll use Tasks as an example here:
- Open the record template for Task via the above path;
- Give the template a name and description;
NOTE: For Tasks and Meetings there is an extra field on the Template form called Category. Use the dropdown to select 'Scheduled' if you want the template to apply to Tasks or Meetings scheduled to happen in the future. If the template is to be applied to Tasks or Meetings that have already happened, choose 'Record'. These Tasks and Meetings will automatically be given a status of Complete (and thus will have an Associated State of Closed).
- Make sure to tick the checkbox next to Published otherwise the template won't be available for use within your database;
- Let's use the "Priority" field as an example; click on it;
- Put a tick in the checkbox next to Apply Value, which allows you to enter a value in the Value field. You can use the dropdown picklist to select an existing value or type in a new one. Let's add Urgent. This status will be filled in automatically when a new Task is created using this template;
- Click Save & Close;
- Make sure you also click Save & Close on the Record template page.
NOTE: By combining these Record Templates with Form Layout rules you can create/tailor any form design and name needed. For example, you could create two different types of Case: internal and external with different fields auto-populated for each type of Case.
You can use Record Templates to assign a value to a field, or even a custom field, then use the Form Layout rules to design a different form.