From late September 2014, you can now update the "Employer" field on a person record using the Import tool and selecting the "Update existing records" Import mode. Step 1: Prepare Your Source File The ...
- Welcome to the Knowledge Base
- Introduction to Workbooks
- Using the Knowledge Base
- Editions & Licensing
- Logging In
- Supported browsers
- Landing Pages
- HTML Editor
- Welcome Messages & Bulletins
- Exporting Data
- Multi Language
- Notifications & Reminders
- Workbooks Mobile Client
- Introduction to Cases
- Displaying & Adding Cases
- Managing Cases
- Custom Fields
- Case Portal Configuration
- Case Portal Additional Features
- Using the Case Portal
- Forecasts & Quotas
- Introduction to Importing
- Preparing your Import Data
- Workbooks Import Wizard
- Managing your Imports
- Introduction to Marketing
- Marketing Campaigns
- Mailing Lists
- Upload Library
Workbooks Web Insights
- Tracking Code
- Setting up the Plugin
- Viewing Web Insights Data on your Form Layouts
- Domain Names and Online Activities
- Gator Popup
- Reporting incorrect Leads created through Web Insights
- Reporting on Web Insights data
- Using UTM Values
- Why aren’t Online Activities being created in the database?
- Why is GatorLeads recording online activities in a foreign language?
- Using HubSpot with Workbooks
- Introduction to Event Management
- Enabling the Event Management Module
- Using Event Records
- The Event Management Portal
- On The Day Registration App
- Setup On the Day Registration App
- Compliance Records
- Setting up the Integration
- Sending Mailshots using GatorMail
- Gator Smart Forms
- GatorMail - Dynamic Content
- GatorMail Domain Setup
- GatorMail Field Mappings
- Managing your GatorMail Account
- Setting up GatorMail Workflows
Electronic Signing Tools
- DocuSign Functionality
- Setting up the DocuSign Integration
- DocuSign - Worked Examples
- DocuSign - Reporting
- Adobe Sign Integration
- Docusign Integration
- Creditsafe Integration
- Introduction to Zapier
- Available Triggers and Actions
- Linking your Workbooks Account to Zapier
Setting up Zaps
- Posted Invoices to Xero Invoices
- Xero payments to Workbooks Tasks
- New Case to Google Drive folder
- New Case to Basecamp Project
- New Workbooks Case to JIRA Ticket
- Jira Issue to new Case
- 123FormBuilder Form Entry to Case
- Eventbrite Attendee to Sales Lead and Task
- Facebook Ad Leads to Sales Leads
- Wufoo Form Entry to Sales Lead
- Posted Credit Note to Task
- QuickBooks Online
- Survey Monkey responses to Tasks
- Multistep Zaps
- Email Dropbox
Workbooks Exchange Server Sync
- WESS System Requirements
- Setting up the WESS
- Synchronising Emails
- Synchronising People & Contacts
- Synchronising Tasks & Meetings
- WESS Troubleshooting
- The WESS Add-in
Workbooks Outlook Connector
- Introduction to the Outlook Connector
- Before downloading the Outlook Connector
- Download/update the Outlook Connector
- Installing the Outlook Connector
- Using the Outlook Connector
- Outlook Connector Troubleshooting
Event & Webinar Integration Tools
- Create/Update & Cancel Webinars from Events
- Event Attendees as Webinar Registrants
- Event Speakers as Webinar Panelists
- Retrieve Webinar Data
- Azure Active Directory
- Power BI
- Scribe/Workbooks Connector
People & Organisations
- Introduction to People & Organisations
- De-duplication and Merge
- Using Postcode Lookup
- Data Enrichment
- Introduction to Reporting
- Reporting Explained
- Displaying reports within Record Views
- Displaying Reports
- Adding a Report view to a Dashboard
- Exporting Reports
- Advanced Reporting
- Introduction to Transaction Documents
- Credit Notes
- Customer Orders
- Supplier Orders
- Contract Management
- Introduction to System Administration
Users & Security
- User Groups
- Account Settings
- Licences & Modules
Email & Integration
- Email Settings
- API Keys
- Web to Case and Web to Lead
- Preference Centre
- MailChimp, Constant Contact & dotMailer
- Bank Account Validation
- Creating & Modifying Picklists
- Creating Custom Fields
- Report-based Custom Fields
- Linked Fields & Reference Fields
- Record Templates
- Form Layouts
- Customising relationships between parties
- Opportunity Stages
- Custom Records
- PDF Configuration
- Contact Support
Releases & Roadmap
- September 2020 Release
- April 2020 Release
- January 2020 Release
- September 2019 Release
- February 2019 - Event Management Release
- January 2019 Release
- October 2018 Release
- May 2018 Release
- February 2018 Release
- January 2018 Release
- November 2017 Release
- September 2017 Release
- June 2017 Release
- March 2017 Release
- December 2016 Release
- August 2016 Release
- January 2016 Release
- Workbooks Glossary
Change Employer Wizard
Workbooks includes a wizard to help you change the employer of a Person record correctly and enable you to see historic contact information between a Person and any previous employers, plus their current one, between a specified date range.
This applies to Emails, Meetings and Tasks that are related to the Person record via the relevant tabs. When you update a Person record to show that they have changed employer, existing data is moved to the 'Contact Details' tab within the Person record. Click the links below for more information:
Setting Employer for the first time
When you create a Person record and populate the 'Employer' field, you can click 'Copy details from Employer' to populate information from that record onto the Person record, including the Employer's address, postcode and telephone number. You can then add an email address that is unique to that Person/Employer. Clicking Save then creates a Party Relationship between the Person record and the specified Organisation (Employer) record.
If you want to store both home and Employer contact details, there are two sets of fields available for this use. These are known as the Main and Home Location. The Main Location should be used for the Employer details and the Home Location should be used for personal information.
By default, the Home Location fields are hidden on your Form Layout but your System Administrator can configure Workbooks to make these visible. See here for more information on configuring Form Layouts.
When a Person leaves their current employer, it is recommended that you reflect this change on your CRM system so that you are only storing relevant and up-to-date information. Updating the 'Employer' field to a value which is different to the current value will display a pop-up screen allowing you to decide what to do with the old data.
In this pop-up, you can set when the changes take effect from. The field will default to today's date.
You can then decide which fields will be moved across to the Contact Details tab of the Person record, and which fields are still valid for that particular record, and thus will remain visible on the record's Main tab.
The options that are displayed within the wizard depend on the Main Location data that is stored for that particular record. If any of the following fields are blank, then they won't be displayed in the wizard. At most, you will see the following options:
- Street Address, Town, County, Postcode and Country (displayed as one 'Full Address' option).
- Alternate Telephone.
- Alternate Email.
NOTE: Custom Fields are not shown in the wizard. Your database may be configured differently so that some of the fields mentioned above might not be visible on your Form Layout.
You should tick the fields that are still valid for that Person to keep them on the Main tab of the Person record, or un-tick them to move them to the Contact Details tab. By default, all fields are un-ticked (with the exception of Mobile Number, since it is assumed that this will be personal to the Person and should not be kept with the Employer). Click Save when you are happy to commit the following changes:
- Update the Employer field value from ABC Company to a new value (XYZ Company).
- Update the relationship between the Person record and ABC Company to be "previously employed person_name".
- Create a relationship between the Person record and XYZ Company to "employs person_name".
Within each relationship, the effective date from the wizard will become the Start Date for the new employer relationship. The End Date for the previously employed by relationship will be set to the day previous to the effective date chosen. Additionally, the wizard will create a record on the Contact Details tab called 'Historic contact details' where you will find the original data. You can open the record to view more detailed information about what is stored:
NOTE: The 'created at' date field will show the original date that the contact details were entered into Workbooks, not when the historic contact details record was created i.e. today's date.
Within the record itself, you can decide whether the historic contact details record is related to a previous employer, or whether they are personal details.
Using the wizard enables you to keep all historic email and meeting activity for a particular person against their record, regardless of their employer, so that you can see both historic communication and future meetings. Once you have completed the wizard and committed the changes to the Employer field as detailed above, a number of additional things happen in the background:
The Emails tab of a Person record will now display emails for any current email addresses stored on the Main tab, along with emails for any email addresses stored on the Contact Details tab within the date range specified. For example,
- Store firstname.lastname@example.org within the Main Location fields.
- Change the employer from ABC Company to XYZ Company with an effective date of yesterday.
- Store a new email address of email@example.com.
The emails tab will then display all emails stored in Workbooks from/to firstname.lastname@example.org up until the day before the effective date plus any emails from/to email@example.com going forwards until the Employer or Email Address changes again. The Organisation record (i.e. the Employer) will only display emails for the period in which the Person was employed by that Organisation.
The Activities tab will display all Tasks and Meetings for the Person record. However, the Organisation's Activities tab only displays Tasks and Meetings for the employees during the period that they were/are employed.
The Employer field on an Activity is cached - this means that when the Employer is changed on the related Primary Contact, the new employer will not be reflected on the Activity record unless the Primary Contact is re-selected after changing the Employer.
NOTE: It is important that the effective date from within the Employer Change wizard is completed as accurately as possible as some Emails/Activities may not show as being related to that Employer record.
If a Person's email address changes, Workbooks will also present a wizard to ensure that historic emails remain related to that record:
If you have incorrectly set the email address, select option 1. This will remove the relationship between the Person record and any emails from/to the old Email Address field value. Alternatively, accept the change and set an effective date which will adopt the behaviour described in the 'Related Records' section.