Creating a Mail Shot
To create a Mail Shot, click Start > Marketing > Mail Shots > New Mail Shot. Alternatively, you can create a Mail Shot from within a Marketing Campaign by opening the Mail Shot tab and clicking New Mail Shot.
NOTE: You can only send Mail Shots if your System Administrator has configured Workbooks to send emails via your own server, not through the Workbooks server.
This opens a Wizard to guide you through creating your Mail Shot including:
- Choosing an existing or creating a new Marketing Campaign whose members will receive the Mail Shot and specifying what Member Status to apply to those members.
- Giving the Mail Shot a name, description and setting the 'from' and 'reply to' email addresses.
- Choosing or creating an email template, defining the email subject, content and personalisation.
- Attaching files to your email.
- Sending or scheduling the Mail Shot emails.
Click Next to move through the Wizard.
If you want to send your Mail Shot to the members of an existing Marketing Campaign, use the dropdown picklist next to Name to select the appropriate campaign. Choosing an existing campaign will populate the summary fields on the right with information about how many members have email addresses, whether any have unsubscribed from this specific campaign (or have opted out of email altogether) and so on.
NOTE: By default the Public Name field is populated with the name of the Campaign. Bear in mind that this will be used on the public facing subscription management web page so you might want to enter an alternative name here.
If you want to change the status of the campaign members you can use the dropdown picklist next to Change Member Status to. The list offered reflects the statuses already set up for the campaign. If the option you want isn't there, you can click on the campaign symbol to open the campaign and add the status.
If you want to create a new Marketing Campaign you can do so from this screen by clicking the button.
This screen is where you give your Mail Shot a name and description and specify the 'from' and 'reply-to' email addresses.
By default the Mail Shot will show the sending user's login email address in the from details. Similarly, any responses will be sent to the sending user. If you want the recipient to see different details for the sender and the reply address you can change them here.
NOTE: To be able to specify a different 'from' address you need to have set up at least one alternative email connection within your Preferences. If you haven't done this you will not be able to send the Mail Shot from any address other than the one with which you have logged in.
The content of your email needs to be in the format of an email template which can be personalised with placeholders that substitute values from the recipient's records.
On this screen, you can choose an existing template using the dropdown picklist next to Email Template or click to create a new one.
When you select a template it will appear in the Content field in read-only format. If you want to modify the underlying template click on the template icon next to Email Template, make your changes (and remember to save them). Within the Mail Shot wizard click the Back button and the Next button to invoke the changes, which you'll now be able to see in the Content field.
When you're happy with the email click Next.
- Workbooks gives you the ability to filter the mail shot recipients, in case you do not want it to be sent to all members of the campaign.
- In this example, we have filtered the "people" in this campaign down to those whose job title contains the word "director", to help target the campaign better.
- The same filtering process can also be done for leads in the next stage of the Wizard.
If you want to include attachments with your email you can upload them here. Simply click on Upload Attachments then click Choose File and browse to find the file you want to attach. You can upload a maximum of 5 files at a time, each less than 16 MB in size. When you've chosen all the files you want to attach, click Upload.
When you've attached all the required files click Next.
Remember to send a test email before sending a Mail Shot to members of a campaign.
This screen provides a summary of the steps you've taken so far. At this stage, you can click Back to amend any details if required. You can also:
- Preview your email and send a test email - click on Preview/Send test email. You'll be prompted to search for a record to use within the test. Choosing a record will display the Mail Shot populated with the values from that record but with your login email details as the recipient. We recommend that you do send yourself a test email to check that you're happy with the details and formatting.
- Send the Mail Shot now - click Send Now and the emails will be sent straight away. The length of time it takes for all the emails to be sent will depend on the number of recipients.
- Schedule the Mail Shot to be sent later - click Schedule and in the window that appears, enter the date and time you want the Mail Shot to be sent. Click Next. Your Mail Shot is now complete. Clicking Complete will open a window showing a progress report.
NOTE: If you want to amend the date or time that the Mail Shot is due to be sent you can do so here. Similarly, if you want to 'suspend' sending the email you can change the status back to Draft.
- Save as draft - if you're not ready to send the Mail Shot yet (and don't want to schedule it to be sent on a specific date/time), click Save as draft. Your Mail Shot is now complete, albeit in Draft status. Clicking Complete will open a window showing a progress report. Here you can add attachments, send a test email, edit the from and reply to email details, set a scheduled date and time for the Mail Shot to be sent and even change the template used, if appropriate.
NOTE: Mail Shot recipients will see an Unsubscribe link in the email they receive, enabling them to unsubscribe from any Campaign of which they are a member or to unsubscribe from receiving any further email marketing at all. The format of the screen they see can be modified within the Configuration area. More details about this can be found here.
- After you have initiated the mail shot, you will see an Email Report screen. This reporting screen will give you the status of your mail shots, once the process is complete, the status will switch from "Sending" to "Sent".
- If any errors occurred during the sending process, the Email Report view will highlight these, and you can then click on the rows below to see which emails have been affected.
NOTE: In the event that an email initially fails to send, the system will make 9 further attempts, each spaced 10 minutes apart. The Status box will only be set to display errors after all 10 attempts at sending have failed.